Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Posting backwards: First day at Dalton, Jan 5-09




So I have started my new job in Florida at the place I was interning with, the Dalton Agency. Guess I did something right. Just as I was getting to my wits end with this whole Jacksonville - thing, the job comes through in the clutch! Woo! So mostly my day consists of a whole lotta "Dalton Agency, good morning" and smiling. And sorting mail. But at the very least, I'm outside of WoodCreek, and I'm seeing human beings on a daily basis... which is nice. Except that our office is downtown. By the courthouse. Next to a park. That homeless people mingle about in and prostitution used to occur daily, particularly on Saturday's at 11 a.m., on the corner approximately 100 feet away (this is what my USPS delivery man told me... I wouldn't question this guy. You wouldn't either).

Well, here's my memorable Day 1 at Dalton:

Two members of the community just came rollin up in with their backpacks, sneakers, and one-leg of the sweat pants rolled up. This is the conversation that ensued:

Two girls: "What is dis?"
Me: "This is the Dalton Agency. We're an advertising and marketing business."
Two girls: "What do you do here?"
Me: "We do advertising.... (blank looks received).... for clients in Jacksonville.. like TV... radio... "
Two girls: "Oh. How do you get in the club?"
Me: "What."
Two girls: "Yall hirin?"
Me: "No."

Did I mention the girl had a yellow/gold grille in her teeth?

Happy first day to me.

2 comments:

  1. ...

    Did you get one (or both) of those girls numbers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this should be a blog topic any time it happens. Even if you have something else. Save it. This is way better.

    ReplyDelete